We have at last been given guidance on how to apply for the SEISS government grant. The bad news is that accountants are not able to apply on clients’ behalf.
The first step is to check if you are eligible for the grant: https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/self-employment-support/enter-unique-taxpayer-reference
- First enter your Unique Taxpayer Reference (Schedule D number)
- Next enter your National Insurance number
- HMRC will then tell you if you are eligible to make a claim
- If yes, you will be invited to apply on a specified date between 13 and 18 May
- Make a diary note of the invitation!
- You will need a Government Gateway user ID and password to apply so log in now if you have one or create one via a link then offered. With your Gateway ID and password you can provide HMRC with your contact details including email address and UK mobile number (optional).
- Check your diary note of application date and time.
- Follow with a deep breathing exercise and/or strong cuppa!
The next step is to be ready at the appointed time
- Log in with your Gateway ID and password
- Have your bank details to hand
- HMRC will have calculated the amount to which you are entitled
- HMRC will verify your claim and pay the amount directly into your bank account within six working days.
These grants are recognised as income when claiming tax credits and Universal Credit.